Sure this is possible. Here is how...
A draft ends when either there are no more picks, or there is nothing left to pick -- whichever comes FIRST! You have 180 days to complete your draft.
To handle your situation do the following:
1) Add all of the games in the season. Change the status of the games NOT in the first from DRAFT to HOLD
2) Create a custom game that has a date in the future and has the title DO NOT DRAFT
3) Create your draft order with all of the picks (I assume 81)
4) Start your draft where only the games from the first group show up PLUS the custom DO NOT DRAFT game.
5) When the first group games have been selected, your draft will still be ACTIVE and only the DO NOT DRAFT game will be left. The draft will not end because the custom DO NOT DRAFT game will still be present AND you still have more picks to be made.
6) When you are ready to draft the second group, change the status of those games from HOLD to DRAFT
7) Partners return to the LIVE DRAFT to make selections for the 2nd group
8) Repeat the steps for the 3rd group.
9) The draft will end when the last pick has been made.
A draft ends when either there are no more picks in the draft or there is nothing left to pick -- whichever happens first!
If you know that one or more of the heirs will drop out, then you need to set up your draft order accordingly by adding more draft picks than the number of items in the draft. When an heir decides to drop out of the draft by turning on AutoSkip, the draft will continue with enough picks so that the draft ends when there is nothing left to draft.
If the 5 people are going to take turns, you could add all 8 people into the draft. On the DRAFT ORDER page, in the first section set it up so 3 people get 25% of the total picks and then 5 people get 5% of the total picks.
In the second section, you would enter 25 picks per round.
In the third section, use the DRAFT ORDER WIZARD and set your initial draft order so that the 25% partners get picks in every 4 picks while the 5% partners get on pick per every 4 alternating.
The initial order (25 picks) would look something like this:
That would handle 25 picks at a time and then would simply repeat that pattern until all of the necessary picks have been made.
We also offer a DRAFT ORDER ALGORITHM that could handle this as well. It is integrated into section 2 of the DRAFT ORDER PAGE and offers a mathematically derived solution that may be preferable. With the second link you could actually try it out to see what a draft order would look like (enter 8 people with 25, 25, 25, 5 x 5 picks).
Yes, at any point any participant can switch their AUTOSKIP setting to ON which tells the system to automatically skip all of their future picks without making any selections.
This can be very useful if a participant wants to select just a few things and then nothing else.